Welcome to the United States District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
Congratulations on your selection to serve as a law clerk in the Middle District of North Carolina. To work for a Federal Judge is a prestigious honor that only a select few have an opportunity to experience. While courthouses and courtrooms may look different in these times, we are confident that this experience will prove both challenging and rewarding while affording you the opportunity to learn a unique perspective of how the Judicial System works.
This site contains all the necessary forms required to process your new appointment. Additional reference materials and guides are also included to assist you in making informed decisions as to which health plan to choose, and whether or not you wish to participate in the Federal Employee’s Life Insurance Program. Please review the forms and complete all forms listed under “New Hire Paperwork” and return the forms to Melisa Bond, Human Resource Specialist, by email at NCMDML_PERSNNL@ncmd.uscourts.gov at least two weeks prior to your appointment date. Please contact Ms. Bond by email or by phone at 336-332-6013 if you have any questions.
New Hire Documents
- Application for Judicial Branch Employment (Form AO 78)
- Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) Section 1 is to be completed and signed by you. Please bring in selected documentation listed on the form on your first day.
- Form W-4. Withholding Allowance Certificate. Sign and date with the date you will begin employment.
- N.C. Withholding Form NC-4. Sign and date with the date you will begin employment.
- Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form. Use of Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) for payroll direct deposit is mandatory. Section 1 needs to be completed by you and Section 3 is for your financial institution information.
- Emergency Contact Sheet
Supplemental Information for Choosing Benefits
- Summary of Benefits
- Federal Employee Healths Benefits Plans
- Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program
- Health Benefits Election Form (SF 2809). You have 60 days from your appointment date to enroll in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program. In general, enrollments take effect on the first day of the pay period that begins after we receive your completed election form and follows a pay period during any part of which you were in a pay status. If you want to make this election after you start your clerkship, the easiest way to do so is online through the Judiciary Benefits Center.
- Life Insurance Election Form (SF 2817). You are automatically covered by the Basic Life Coverage described in the FEGLI Booklet. If you want no life insurance at all, sign and date Section 5.
- Life Insurance Designation of Beneficiary Form (SF 2823). This form should be completed if you wish something other than the order of precedence listed on the back of the form.
Policy and Procedure
Pay Information and Support Services
- Law Clerk Hiring Standards
- Pay Table (Durham)
- Pay Table (Greensboro/Winston-Salem)
- Annual Holidays and Pay Calender