Individuals may commence a civil action in Federal Court without being represented by an attorney. Individuals who represent themselves in Court are called "pro se litigants" or "self-represented litigants." “Pro se” is a Latin term, meaning “on one’s own behalf.” Pro se litigants must follow all applicable federal rules, policies, and procedures including the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and this Court's Local Rules.
Please be advised that the Clerk’s Office and its employees are forbidden by law from giving legal advice. Legal advice could be described as, but is not limited to: interpretation of rules, recommending a course of action, predicting a judicial officer’s decision or interpreting the meaning or effect of any court order or judgment.
Application to Proceed Without Prepaying Costs and Fees
42 U.S.C. § 1983 or Bivens Claim
- NCMD Local Instructions for filing a 42 U.S.C. § 1983 or a Bivens Claim
- 42 U.S.C. § 1983 or Bivens Claim (Blank Form)
28 U.S.C. § 2241
- NCMD Local Instructions for filing a Petition under 28 U.S.C. § 2241
- 28 U.S.C. § 2241 Petition for a Writ of Habeas Corpus (Blank Form)
28 U.S.C. § 2254 Petition for Habeas Corpus
- NCMD Local Instructions for filing a Petition Under 28 U.S.C. § 2254 for a Writ of Habeas Corpus
- 28 U.S.C. § 2254 Petition for Habeas Corpus (Blank Form)
28 U.S.C. § 2255
Other helpful links:
- Glossary of Terms
- Federal Rules of Civil Procedure
- Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure
- NCMD Local Rules
For more information and other Federal Forms please visit the US Courts Website.
Any external hyperlinks found within this website contain information created and maintained by other public or private organizations. The links are provided for the user's convenience. The U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina, does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of this outside information; nor does it control or guarantee the on-going availability, maintenance, or security of these Internet sites. Further, the inclusion of these links is not intended to reflect their importance or exclusion of the receiving and/or filing of others forms.