You are here

Filing Without an Attorney

If you wish to start a civil action in federal court, but do not have an attorney to represent you, you may bring your case on your own.  Bringing a case on your own is called proceeding "pro se."  A civil action is the only type of case you can start in federal court and is different from a criminal action which is started by government officials.  You do not have the right to an attorney in a civil case and the Court only appoints attorneys in certain circumstances.  Because you do not have the right to an attorney and may not be appointed one, you must be ready to pursue your case to completion.
A pro se party (non prisoner) may consent to receive service of documents and NEFs to the extent and in the manner authorized by the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedures, and the Local Rules.  Consent must be given by completion of an "Authorization Form to Receive Documents Electronically."  Consent may only be provided in a particular case and may be revoked by the pro se party at any time upon written notice to the Clerk's Office.
The Pro Se Packet contains information to help you if you decide to proceed pro se.  The packet contains guidelines and forms.  If you file a case pro se, you will have to follow the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and this Court's Local Rules the same as any attorney who represents someone.
DISCLAIMER:  The Pro Se Packet is not intended to take the place of an attorney's legal advice.  It also may not contain information that addresses your particular case or problem.
Prisoner Forms